The School of Information Sciences welcomes applicants from across North America to its master's degree and certificate programs. The majority of SIS classes are conducted online. All online students, regardless of location, receive in-state tuition.
Applicants to the School of Information Sciences must satisfy the following criteria:
- Possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 or better or possess another degree beyond the bachelor's degree. Applicants with an undergraduate grade point average between 2.50 and 2.99 can satisfy this requirement by one of the Alternative Admissions methods.
- Meet the SIS Technology Requirements. Entering students with strong technology skills are encouraged to consider submitting a request to waive the core course, LIS 6080, Information Technology.
- Submit a personal statement reflecting relevant personal and academic background and experience. The statement should be a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of 500 words (1-2 pages).
- Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Complete New Student Orientation. MLIS students are expected to complete an online orientation prior to starting classes. This is not applicable to certificate-only students.
Applicants with previous graduate-level course work in library and information science or another discipline may be eligible to transfer in credits. For complete details and requirements, please consult our Transfer Credit policy.
Application Dates for Admission
For Fall classes beginning early September by July 1
For Winter classes beginning early January by November 1
For Spring classes beginning early May by April 1
For international students, the application form and all transcripts and documents must be on file in the Graduate Enrollment Services at least four months before the start of the term in which the applicant plans to begin graduate studies.
For additional information on Graduate School Admission, refer to the Wayne State University Graduate Bulletin
How to Apply
- Complete and submit the online Graduate Admission Application form.
- Compose a personal statement and upload it to your application.
- Upload a current resume or curriculum vitae with your application.
- Pay $50 application fee.
- Request official transcripts from each university you have attended and have them sent directly to Graduate Admissions, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 48202.
After your application is submitted, you will receive an access ID and password from Computing and Information Technology (C&IT). Please use this information to check your application's status in Academica. If this is your first time using Academica, your password is your 9-digit Banner ID.
Check Your Status
- Go to Academica
- Log in by entering your access ID (2 letters followed by 4 numbers, such as aa9999) and password (your initial password is your 9-digit Banner ID beginning with 00 or 000).
- Click the "Check Your Admission Status" icon on the right-hand side.
- This will automatically take you to the status screen. At this screen, you will see your status and if there are any outstanding materials.
If you have problems logging in to Academica and you have your access ID and password, please contact C&IT at (313) 577-4778.
Please note: It can take 1 to 2 weeks from the receipt of your application materials before the information is put into the electronic system.