Faculty and Staff Biography
Timothy D. Bowman
Timothy D. Bowman is an Assistant Professor in the School of Information Sciences. Prior to joining the SIS faculty, Timothy completed a one year postdoctoral position at the Research Unit for the Sociology of Education (RUSE) at the University of Turku, Finland where he conducted research on open science, scholarly communication, and altmetrics. Before this he worked as a research professional at the Universitè de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada investigating scholarly communication, bibliometrics, citation analysis, and altmetrics. While completing his Ph.D. at Indiana University, Bloomington, Timothy taught multiple graduate level courses as an adjunct faculty member and participated in various NSF and NEH funded grant projects in the fields of Digital Humanities and Scholarly Communication. His area of research interest includes applying social, psychological, linguistic, and philosophical theories and methods to the study of scholarly communication, altmetrics, open science, the academic reward system, and the presentation of self in online environments. Timothy enjoys teaching both technical and theoretical courses and applying the lessons he learned while working outside of academia to prepare his students to succeed after obtaining their degree.
Degrees and certifications
- Ph.D., Information Science, School of Informatics and Computing, Indiana University, Bloomington (2015).
- M.I.S., School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University, Bloomington (2001).
- B.S., Psychology (Neuropsychology), Indiana State University, Terre Haute (1999).
- INF 6000 - Intro to Information Management
- INF 6050 - Intro to Computer Programming
- INF 6080 - Information Technology
- INF 6210 - Organization of Knowledge
- INF 7910 - Metadata Theory and Practice
- INF 8410 - Topics in Information Management
- Identity Communication and Social Media Use
- Advanced Computer Programming
- Hassan, S., Said, A., Abbasi, R.A., Aljohani, N.R., Bowman, T.D., & Nawaz, R. (accepted). Mining Network Level Properties of Twitter Altmetrics Data. Scientometrics.
- Díaz-Faes, A.A., Bowman, T.D., & Costas, R. (accepted). Towards a second generation of ‘social media metrics’: Characterizing the interactions of Twitter communities of attention around science. PLOS ONE.
- Hassan, S., Bowman, T.D., Shabbir, M., Akhtara, A., Imran, M., & Aljohani, N.R. (accepted). Influential Tweeters in Relation to Highly Cited Articles in Altmetric Big Data. Scientometrics.
- Mongeon, P., Xu, S., Bowman, T.D., & Costas, R. (2018). Tweeting Library and Information Science: a socio-topical distance analysis. STI 2018 Conference Proceedings, Leiden, Netherland, pp. 1502-1508. Centre for Science and Technology (CWTS): Leiden. https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/handle/1887/65263
- Dudek, J. Bowman, T.D., & Costas, R. (2018). When do tweeters tweet about Science? Exploratory analysis of the Twitter dissemination of scientific publications by weekdays and months. STI 2018 Conference Proceedings, Leiden, Netherlands, pp 1555-1578. Centre for Science and Technology (CWTS): Leiden http://hdl.handle.net/1887/65294
- Hassan, S., Imran, M., Gillani, U., Radi Aljohani, N., Bowman, T.D., & Didegah, F. (2017). Measuring social media activity of scientific literature: An exhaustive comparison of Scopus and novel altmetrics big data. Scientometrics, 113(2), pp. 1037-1057. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-017-2512-x
- Didegah, F, Gazni, A, Bowman, T. D., & Holmberg, K (2017). Internationality in Finnish research: an examination of collaborators, citers, tweeters and readers. Information Research, 22(1), CoLIS paper 1624. http://www.informationr.net/ir/22-1/colis/colis1624.html
Awards and honors
- 2015. Outstanding Poster Award, 15th International Conference on Scientometrics & Informetrics, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Scholarly Communication
- Open Science
- Digital Humanities
- Social Informatics
Areas of expertise
- Scholarly Communication and Altmetrics
- Web Programming and Web Design
- Computer Programming
- Philosophy of IT
- Self presentation
- Identity Management
- Online Communication