Effective February 8, 2012
Graduate Certificates completed conjointly with a SIS degree program:
Students enrolled in a SIS degree program, either the Master's degree (MLIS) or the Specialist's Certificate degree (SCLIS), may conjointly complete no more than two Graduate Certificates under the conditions listed below. Credits completed for certificates prior to enrolling in the MLIS program will not be eligible for transfer to the MLIS degree.
- The student must be officially enrolled in the Graduate Certificate(s) before completing the MLIS or SCLIS degree. All Graduate Certificate requirements must be fulfilled for each certificate sought.
- Nine credits from each Graduate Certificate may be counted toward the MLIS or SCLIS degree. If a course is listed in multiple certificate programs it may be counted toward the MLIS or SCLIS degree and all applicable certificate programs. However, this does not reduce the overall credits needed for completion.
- For each certificate, students must complete a minimum of six hours of coursework beyond the MLIS or SCLIS degree requirements. For example a student in the MLIS degree who wanted to complete two certificates would take a minimum of 12 additional hours. The degree plus certificate completion requirement would be a minimum of 48 hours. For some certificates, more than 6 hours beyond the degree may be needed to fulfill all requirements.
- All MLIS or SCLIS degree requirements must be completed.
- All degree and certificate requirements must be completed within six (6) years.
Graduate Certificates completed independently (not conjoint with a degree program):
Students who wish to complete a Graduate Certificate independent of a degree (MLIS or SCLIS) must meet the following criteria:
- Officially enroll for the Graduate Certificate.
- Complete all certificate requirements.
- Complete a minimum of 15 hours of coursework.
- All certificate requirements must be completed within three (3) years.
- Courses previously used in a degree program, even though required in a certificate, may not be used toward the certificate. Alternative electives will be chosen with the concurrence of an advisor.